tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 28 11:05:32 2001

RE: KLBC: ghIj

> ngugh mevta' bIlbo.  Dochvamvo' jaHtaHghach yoH law' Hoch
> ta'meyDaj yoH puS.
>   ghIq qaS Dochmey Dun, 'ach bIH ram law' Dochvam ram puS.  'ochDaq nIteb
> loSbogh Qob'a' leghpa' may'na' Suvpu'.
>
> It was as at this point that Bilbo stopped.  Going on from there was the
> bravest thing he ever did.  The tremendous things that happened afterward
> were as nothing compared to it.  He fought the real battle in the tunnel
> alone, before he ever saw the vast danger that lay in wait.

ngugh - "It was at this point that ..."
What point in time was that?

What/who is being brave?  Is the {action of going} brave?  It is Bilbo that
is brave.  Same with ta'meyDaj.  "Going on from there...", is this physical
or temporal?
If physical, Dochvamvo' jaHtaHvIS ghaH yoH law' ...

I'm not familiar with the big picture here so I'm not sure what vocabulary
could help here, but we a noun "event, occurrence, phenomenon" - wanI'

> I wasn't sure about the {-pu'} on {Suv} at the end, but I thought it was
> probably necessary, as {ghIq} in the previous sentence changed the
> time-stamp, and I wanted to be clear that this happened before
> the events of the other sentence.

The -pu' seems ok, but the 'ochDaq and nIteb are attached to the <loSbogh
Qob'a' leghpa'>

> Also, if I want to say, "in ancient times", can I use {-Daq}, or does that
> refer to strictly physical location?

-Daq is physical.

If the act is "during" a time period, in TKD we have "Four thousand throats
may be cut in one night by a running man."  Note that the english says "in
one night", but this "in" is not -Daq.  The klingon is <qaStaHvIS wa' ram
loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh loD> - "While one night occurs..."
That's if it occurs "during" a time period; not quite the same as a normal
time-stamp.

> Since I don't know how to say 'times'
> in that sense ({poH} doesn't seem right, but it was the nearest thing I
> could find), I have to use 'days'.  Can I say {jajmey tIQDaq}?  If that's
> not permissible, then I would next have to guess {ben law'qu'} or perhaps
> {vatlh law' ben}.  Are any of these constructions permissible?

Klingons may be inaccurate, but they never approximate.  Pick a time when it
happened.  cha' SaD ben...

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level