tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 28 12:17:58 2001

Re: Klingon literature: clipped or flowery?

Since we currently don't have "original" Klingon literature (written by
native Klingons), we don't know how books are written on Qo'noS.
As far as the Poe Project goes, translations should be as close to the
original as possible. It would be possible to summarize a story in a few
Klingon sentences. However, we could do that in English too. "A man commits
murder. He tries to cover up the murder. He gets caught. The End." That
isn't a very satisfying story. A Klingon might like a 3-sentence long story,
but the translations will be read by Klingon-speaking humans. For the
project, include as much detail as the original. Don't worry that a Klingon
might think "This story has superfluous details and is inefficient."

- taD