tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 20 21:18:44 2001

Re: Broken Bow?

ja' Qor'etlh:
>> How did you obtain a copy of the script?...
>How's unimportant.

Hal Dangu'Qo'chugh vaj ram je De'lIj 'e' vInoH.

>I'm trying to write through official channels. If they won't come to
>us, we have to either meet them halfway, or just go after them...

'ach Bullwinkle, not Qap tuHvetlh'e'!  reH wIbuSHa'lu'taH.
It's been tried.  Repeatedly.  "They" obviously don't want us.

>Don't go by just the closed-captions though, most of what is written
>when the Klingons speak are just stage directions.

When you say "stage directions" do you mean things like where to look and
what facial expressions to use?  Or are there actual translations so that
the actor knows what he's saying so he can do it right?

>> If {lupHom} is "ship" and {SonchIy} is "destroyed", I really doubt that
>> {qatlho'} is "thank you". :-/
>
>They were referring to the ship as a "destroyer." Not elegant, but
>obvious.

quSDaq bIba'be'bej jay'!  Hoshi unambiguously translated those two words
exactly the way I presented them, which is why I chose them as the
examples.  How do you see reversing them as "obvious"?

My point is that the Klingon language used in "Broken Bow" isn't the same
as the Klingon language we know from TKD.  The vocabulary is distinctly
different.  If there *is* a word for "thank you", it's unlikely in the
extreme that it matches the one in the ta' Hol that I have learned over the
past six years.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level