tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 16 16:19:37 2001

Re: Broken Bow?

ghunchu'wI' bItlhob:
> How did you obtain a copy of the script?  You said something
recently about
> working with the offical Star Trek fan club and magazine; do you
have
> access to material that we might find useful?

How's unimportant. I've already turned what I have over to the KLI.
I'm trying to write through official channels. If they won't come to
us, we have to either meet them halfway, or just go after them... As
for the rest, verification of what's on the script versus what we
hear, I'm in the same boat as you are.

Don't go by just the closed-captions though, most of what is written
when the Klingons speak are just stage directions.

> If {lupHom} is "ship" and {SonchIy} is "destroyed", I really doubt
that
> {qatlho'} is "thank you". :-/

They were referring to the ship as a "destroyer." Not elegant, but
obvious.

...and qatlho' has been the convention, if not Canon, for "I thank
you" on this list for quite a while. Do Klingons use it much? I doubt
that, but it would be the closest approximation the the English
phrase.

> I've listened to the "Klingon linguistic database" scene very hard,
and I
> can make out quite a lot of it.  The mad ravings in Sickbay, for
example,
> seem to match up pretty well with what's being played.  I do hear
one or
> two words which sort of sound like they could be part of that last
line.  I
> don't hear the entire phrase spoken, however.

I'm still thashing over those scenes. I only recognized a few from
the Chambers later. Your observation could mean that they re-used
more sound bites than I realized. 'Mad ravings' seems to explain a
lot of the translations...

The longer I listen, the 'mad'-der I get.

Qor'etlh valwI'na'