tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 19 02:14:24 2001

Re: KLBC qun

Voragh jatlh:
> : This is something that should be paired before the already known
> : phrase:
> :    qun luqon yaywI’
> :    “It is the victors who write the history.”
>
> You've misquoted this at least once before.  The phrase actually
is:

>   qun qon charghwI'pu''e'
>   History is written by the victors. TKW
>
> "Victor, conqueror" is {charghwI'}.  *{yaywI'} is not allowed, as
our BG will
> no doubt explain, along with the remainder of your post.
>
> The best way to learn vocabulary and other grammar - especially
prefixes and
> suffixes - is to memorize phrases and proverbs; but it only works
if you
> remember them correctly.

HIvqa' veqlargh!

Yet another case where I missed the tree for the forest. I knew the
precise literal translation for Conqueror/Victor... Since the mighty
charghwI' is an old friend, I'm surprised he didn't come back with
this first.

Of course, I'd thought it was just the Federation Standard
translation that was too 'aproximate...[prevaricating], and that the
latter translation was a restoration of the Terran phrase back to
it's original form in tlhIngan Hol.

I'd definately memorized the former version a long time ago, and
quite incorrectly. I'm digesting the rest of the information for the
"qun" message, and will resond to the rest of your input with my
reply to DloraH

I should have remembered it too, because I'd been confused by the
lack of the {lu-} prefix before {qon} when I saw this discussed back
in the mid '90's. Probably someone correcting me even back then.

qatlho' jupwI'.

Qor'etlh ghoj(taH)wI'