tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 24 03:04:23 2001

Re: KLBC qun

jItlhob:
> > How would I best say:
> >   "Warriors live in the present, civilization (Empire, or
> >    Citizens(?)) goes on into the future."

> DloraH:
> :   yInlI' SuvwI'pu', taHtaH tayqeq.
> :
> : Or to make a better connection in the comparison, use the same
root verb.
> :
> :   taHlI' SuvwI'pu', taHtaH tayqeq.

I'm not familiar with the construction: tayqeq
Please help me with this, as a vocabulary word, and in context.

Voragh ja':
> Alternatively, use contrasting adverbials:
>
>   DaH yInlI' SuvwI'pu', reH taHtaH tayqeq.
>
> As Klingon verbs have no grammatical tense, using adverbs of time
can help.  A
> possible caveat: Since Klingon time words are more specific than
their English
> equivalents - e.g. {wa'Hu'} "tomorrow" (lit. "one day from now") -
Klingons may
> not use them metaphorically: e.g. the car of tomorrow, yesterday's
child.  We
> need to ask Maltz.

jIyaj (DaH)

If that is true, then perhaps I SHOULD just say:
"Today is what a Warrior lives for. Tommorrow the Empire endures."

DaHjaj yInlI' SuvwI'pu'. wa'leS taHjaj wo'

Is that completely incorrect?

DaHjaj yInlI' vaj (?)

Something like: "Warriors live for the moment, the Empire endures
into the future!"
Even if it isn't metaphorical, It has been said very well in our
anthem; DaHjaj wo'
.... but which statement comes before that?

I apologize for the confusion, but now I can't get the song out of my
head. This is not a bad thing, but it becomes temporarily impossible
for me to create original thoughts (for now).

Would it be possible to use {vaj} instead of {SuvwI'pu'}?
Implying "warriorhood" instead of just "warriors." Can such a thing
"live"?

Or does that all fall back to the question you suggest FoM bring to
Maltz?
Not that I think that would have a snowballs chance in SIto'vo'qor of
being answered...

...but then again, the IRA are disarming today, so who knows what
else will be topsy-turvy? The next thing ya know, the Romulans will
be wearing white hats, and Tribbles will hunt Klingons.

It still doesn't seem to give the impression that Warriors exist just
in the moment, and the Empire exists for the rest of existence. I
don't get that Zen feel from any of the above. If one phrase were to
get into something like TKW, which one of these would equal the
sentiment of my original statement?

chaq jIlughbe' 'ach reH Qor'etlh (ghojwI' je) jIH.