tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 23 16:45:59 2001

RE: KLBC qun

Qor'etlh ghoj'wI':
> How would I best say:
>   "Warriors live in the present, civilization (Empire, or
>    Citizens(?)) goes on into the future."

DloraH:
:   yInlI' SuvwI'pu', taHtaH tayqeq.
:
: Or to make a better connection in the comparison, use the same root verb.
:
:   taHlI' SuvwI'pu', taHtaH tayqeq.

Alternatively, use contrasting adverbials:

  DaH yInlI' SuvwI'pu', reH taHtaH tayqeq.

As Klingon verbs have no grammatical tense, using adverbs of time can help.  A
possible caveat: Since Klingon time words are more specific than their English
equivalents - e.g. {wa'Hu'} "tomorrow" (lit. "one day from now") - Klingons may
not use them metaphorically: e.g. the car of tomorrow, yesterday's child.  We
need to ask Maltz.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons