tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 19 00:40:19 2001

Re: KLBC RE: latlh nay bangwI' ngo'

> > 'oy' 'e' viSov.  javben nay bangwI' ngo'.  DaH wej puq lughaj ghaH
>loDnal
>je.
>
>Check your upper-case and lower-case letters.
Looks like I missed the 'I' at least twice in my post.  I'm not really a
very good typist.  I often release the shift key too early.  I catch most of
them though.

>The prefix lu- is (they / him), singular object.  So if puq is singular
>that
>forces wej to mean "not yet".
>"Now, they don't have kids yet."
>If they have three kids the object is plural.  (they / them) is without a
>prefix.

This is a holdover from Finnish - when you modify a noun with a number, the
noun is actually in a singular from.  I'll just have to be more careful

> > *Later*, be' vIghom.  bangwI' ghaH 'e' vineH.  'ach neHbe' ghaH.
>mejpu'.
>
>Again, case-sensitive.
>neH is an exception to the Sentence-As-Object rule and does not require
>'e'.
>
>This sentence has a time frame to it.  A time frame of you meeting her and
>wanting her.  You did not change the time-stamp after [neHbe' ghaH], so
>mejpu' is part of this time frame.  -pu' implies that the action is
>completed.  While you met and wanted her, she had ALREADY left.

So how would I chnge the time frame here?  'After that' or something?  I was
trying to indicate that she left, not that she was leaving.  IS that just
implied by the time frame of {neHbe' ghaH}?

> > DaH *France*Daq Dab.
>
>Dab doesn't need -Daq on its noun.
>DaH France Dab.

Another handy piece of info.

> > ngugh 'oy' law', DaH 'oy' puS.
>
>A Q law' B Q puS
>ngugh and DaH are adverbs.  A and B must be nouns.

So you can't use whole sentences, just simple noun-verb constructs?

> > *Eventually* puSchoH 'oy'.
> > Can I use {puS} with a non-count noun?
>
>I belive you can.  Voragh, what canon do we have for nouns and puS (or
>law')?
>

> > tugh paw *TKD* 'e' vItul.
>
>You don't have TKD yet?  How did you write this message?

1) The grammar lessons available in PDF format on the KLI site
2) KGT and TKW (from my local library)
3) Knowledge of several different grammars (including one non-Indo-European)

As you can see, though, there are several gaping holes in my grammar, such
as not knowing the law'/puS rules or the neH exception.