tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 19 00:27:45 2001

Re: Comparatives and OSV (was Re: KLBC: Limmerick vIqonta')

TPO:
> The law'/puS comparison is a special formula.  I don't think we know its
> historical origins.  As you pointed out, it does look like two sentences in
> the old (O)SV format.

Or it's simply two noun phrases in apposition, the way English says "the
more the merrier" - the only special thing being that the second
adjective modifies the first, rather than the noun. (In european
grammar, adjectives are modified by adverbs, but there's no logical
reason for that.)

In fact, since we can't simply string a bunch of adjectives on a noun,
this might be the reason - the adjectives would modify each other rather
than the noun...

Hmm...

*{Duj tIn puS vIlegh}

Jiri <[email protected]>