tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 18 23:15:26 2001

RE: KLBC: Comparatives and OSV (was Re: KLBC: Limmerick vIqonta')

> In my search for remnants of {no' Hol}, I fairly fell over the {X Q law' Y
> puS} structure, and it *may* appear that this bears vestiges of OSV
> structure too, unless it isn't really a sentence, but a fragment of one.
And
> if this is the case, why are two adjectival verbs altering nouns in BOTH
> parts of the structure? I'm confused. HELP!!!! :)

The law'/puS comparison is a special formula.  I don't think we know its
historical origins.  As you pointed out, it does look like two sentences in
the old (O)SV format.

The law'/puS format does not change; however, KGT p178-180 discusses how
other sets of antonyms are sometimes put in place of the words law' and puS.

We don't have an explanation of the reasons for this formula, other than
simply that's the way it's done.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level