tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 16 17:51:49 2001

Re: tu'lu'pu'be'bogh Hatlh

jatlh Voragh:

 > Although translating The Undiscovered Country as a perfective - "the
empire
 > which has not been discovered" - is certainly literally correct, I think
it
 > makes the phrase a bit long and clumsy.  The perfective sense in such
{-bogh}
 > phrases is sometimes provided by context, particularly when used with
{-lu'}.

ja' SuStel:

>In this case, I think the /-pu'/ is very important.  "The undiscovered
>country" does not refer to a place that one "does not discover," it refers
>to a place that one "has not yet discovered."  Implied in its meaning is
>the

HISlaH. jatlhtaHghachvetlh tammo' {-pu'} vIlo'.
I agree. I used {-pu'} because of that implication.

*yet* 'oSbogh mu' lo'nISlu''a'?
Should a word which means "yet" be used, or is it better the way it is
(now):

Sep tu'lu'pu'be'bogh

>fact that each one of us, eventually, will enter that country and see for
>ourselves what is there.  It is, of course, a metaphor for death (which is
>why everyone was so shocked when General Chang used it as a toast--until he
>diffused the situation by saying he meant the future).

mu'tlheghvam lo' *ghorqon* Qang. lo'be' chang Sa'.

*stress* ghaj <<tu'lu'pu'be'bogh>> mu' nuq *syllable*mey? Hugh *syllable*mey
Hoch, pagh <<tu'>>, <<-lu'>> <<-be'>> je neH?

Chang didn't use the toast, Gorkon did.

Which syllables of the word <<tu'lu'pu'be'bogh>> receive stress? All glottal
ones, or just <<tu'>>, <<-pu'>> and <<-be'>>?

Qapla' 'ej Satlho'

ro'Han