tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 16 19:51:37 2001

Re: tu'lu'pu'be'bogh Hatlh

From: "Rohan Fenwick" <[email protected]>
> *yet* 'oSbogh mu' lo'nISlu''a'?
> Should a word which means "yet" be used, or is it better the way it is
> (now):

/wej/ is "not yet," but I don't think that explicitly stating that the
country will be discovered is appropriate, either.  There will always be
someone who has "yet" to "discover" it, but once you discover it you can't
report your discovery.

> Sep tu'lu'pu'be'bogh
>
> >fact that each one of us, eventually, will enter that country and see for
> >ourselves what is there.  It is, of course, a metaphor for death (which
is
> >why everyone was so shocked when General Chang used it as a toast--until
he
> >diffused the situation by saying he meant the future).
>
> mu'tlheghvam lo' *ghorqon* Qang. lo'be' chang Sa'.

reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS!

> *stress* ghaj <<tu'lu'pu'be'bogh>> mu' nuq *syllable*mey? Hugh
*syllable*mey
> Hoch, pagh <<tu'>>, <<-lu'>> <<-be'>> je neH?

Before I try to answer the question, let me mention this: you can't say (for
instance) this:

*Duj nuq DachIj?
"What ship do you navigate?"

/nuq/ doesn't work like this.  It should probably stand in for an entire
subject or object, maybe for a header (though we have no evidence of that
one).  Instead, you'd have to phrase it thus:

Duj DachIjbogh yIngu'!
Identify the ship which you navigate!

As for which syllables to stress, who knows?  Myself, I'd stress all of 'em
except /-bogh/, and tend to increase the tone of my voice all the way
through /-be'/.  But that's just me.

SuStel
Stardate 1793.4

Back to archive top level