tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 11 11:19:33 2001

RE: Broken Bow?

Say'IluD jatlh:
> ghItlhDaq vInejDI', wa'logh mu'tlhegh vISam.

jIQoypu'. jIHDaq vInejDi', cha'logh mu'tlhegh vISam. qay'be'
'oH ghItlhDaq maSamHa'. qonwI' jIHDaq naDev lutu'lu'. jiH yIbej, 'ej
yIQoy.

[ {jIH} (n) Viewer. By this I intended "on-screen," ...not to look at
ME.]

'ej ja':
> also, I'm not convinced it was "shoulder" since the written text
did not
> include the ending 'h' on "volcha". At least when they look up a
word, they
> put the text down correctly. It then falls to the actor to
mispronounce the
> words.

Many of the typo's included missing as well as excess letters. All I
can do is compare the garbled words with all of the possible
permutations, and make an educated guess.

Whether the writing pool correctly transcribed them or not, this is a
nearly final version of the Script, and would have passed through
many hands before we got ahold of it....and many Spellcheckers. While
one CAN train a spellchecker to correctly identify mu'mey tlhIngan
Hol, most people do NOT know how to do that.

...Listening does not always give us the true picture either,
considering that these dialects may have come from all over the early
Empire (IOW: "the actors were innadequately coached.") There was at
least one significant divergence from the 'Klingon' in the Script, to
the Canon (on-screen) version.

> ah, I couldn't make out the sound on the recording very well. This
is why
> you say the phrase is repeated. Sounds more like a cheap way out,
record the
> last scene and play it in the beginning! verengan Ha'DIbaHpu' (or
should
> that be -mey? which would make the insult more biting?)

qar! 'ach nuq 'oH verengan? [majatlh "verenganpu'"  "Ha'DIbaHmey"
joq] ghobe': *Gene Roddenberry*-ngan ...
ghItlhwI''a' chenmoHwI' je, net jatlhpu' "yIvaQ."

It's clearly repeated! But is it Ferengi? No, It's something Gene
Roddenberry himself would have had us do. Author and Creator, he has
said "Be effective." (Most took this to mean "don't be wasteful.")
If that means occasionally re-using complicated (often expensive)
elements in an Episode he was all for it.

...and He WAS working under the ever watchful penny pinching eyes of
Ferengi Merchants.

This goes for sounds as well as "Opticals." Check out _The Music of
Star Trek_ for some fascinating tidbits on how music and sound were
constantly re-used throughout the various ST Series and Movies.

... 'ej qonwI' ratlh poHqoqDaq
...and besides, the recording was temporally displaced too!
}};-]

Either this phrase was a "traditional dismisssal" for telling
unwanted persons to leave the High Council Chambers, OR the Vulcans
recorded this coversation to clue Archer and Hoshi in as to what they
were getting into.

'oy' nachwIj! ...Temporal Mechanics was never my best subject at the
Warriors Acadamy {'ampaS vaj (?)}.

It couldn't have been that! Hasn't Archer himself said that "the
Vulcans are Earths suppressors."
*G*

'ej yItlhob:
> talIjvaD .mp3 .wav joq DachenmoHlaH'a' ghIq <Internet>Daq
DalanlaH'a'

jIH? ...chaq. jInID
Ya never know until ya try.

         Qapla' batlh je!