tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 09 21:50:23 2001

RE: Help for someone new!

While Okrand has explained that {neH} has its special status because of
another movie goof that forced it to be that way, it strikes me that {neH}
is different from, for example {-qang}, which is probably its closest suffix
in meaning because unlike {-qang}, the person doing the wanting is not
necessarily the person doing the action of the verb. We need to be able to
put a prefix on {neH}. We don't need to put a prefix on {-qang}. See?

DaQaHqang.

DaQaH vIneH.

Willingness is almost always associated with the subject of the verb, but
desire can be associated with outside parties to the action. It is not so
commonly meaningful to say, "I'm willing that you help her," as it is to
say, "I want you to help her." If willingness is an issue, it typically is
an issue for the one doing the helping, for example.

> -- ter'eS

charghwI'

Back to archive top level