tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 08 14:25:40 2001

Re: Broken Bow?

Dave Watkeys wrote:
> Greetings
>   I have been looking for someone who can translate Klingon.
> I have been wondering at the end of the new Enterprise
> television series what the phrase the Klingon chancellor used
> when he spoke to Captain Archer.  Can you please
> tell me or ask someone to let me know?

He didn't use a popular, or 'canned' phrase. He merely spoke his
mind.

This is taken verbatum from my copy of the Script. I have only
corrected the tlhIngan Hol (Klingon Language) spellings. My own
interpretations (translations) are in [] brackets.

========== Begin Excerpt ==========

CHANCELLOR
(to Archer)
chupDaH Hegh volchaHvay
    [ "I recommend distance or whatever you are will die." (I.E. Get
lost or I'll kill ya!)]

With that, the Klingon lowers the blade and walks away.

ARCHER
(sotto, to Hoshi)
I'll take that as a thank you.

HOSHI
I don't think they have a word for thank you.
     [ This is wrong. She just doesn't know it yet. The word for
"thank you" is qatlho' (even though it's not often used)]

ARCHER
What'd he say?

HOSHI
(unnerved)
You don't want to know.

=========== End Excerpt ===========

The interesting thing about this quote is that it was also heard
earlier in the episode, when Capt. Archer was playing back "study
material from the Vulcans" to entice Hoshi to join the mission. You
can barely hear it when she asks him "Do we know much about these
Klingons?"

     yIHaD vIneH, qeq, qeq, qeq je.

Qor'etlh valwI'na', buraD tuq, Duy'a' tlhIngan wo'
ghojmoHwI' tlhIngan Hol,
qepHom 'utlhHom
}};-]