tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 15 18:10:11 2001

Re: Broken Bow?

ja' Qor'etlh:
>This is taken verbatum from my copy of the Script...

How did you obtain a copy of the script?  You said something recently about
working with the offical Star Trek fan club and magazine; do you have
access to material that we might find useful?

>CHANCELLOR
>(to Archer)
>chupDaH Hegh volchaHvay
>    [ "I recommend distance or whatever you are will die." (I.E. Get
>lost or I'll kill ya!)]

Just how does it mean that?  I can't make out anything like what your
translation says.

>With that, the Klingon lowers the blade and walks away.
>
>ARCHER
>(sotto, to Hoshi)
>I'll take that as a thank you.
>
>HOSHI
>I don't think they have a word for thank you.
>     [ This is wrong. She just doesn't know it yet. The word for
>"thank you" is qatlho' (even though it's not often used)]

If {lupHom} is "ship" and {SonchIy} is "destroyed", I really doubt that
{qatlho'} is "thank you". :-/

>The interesting thing about this quote is that it was also heard
>earlier in the episode, when Capt. Archer was playing back "study
>material from the Vulcans" to entice Hoshi to join the mission. You
>can barely hear it when she asks him "Do we know much about these
>Klingons?"

I've listened to the "Klingon linguistic database" scene very hard, and I
can make out quite a lot of it.  The mad ravings in Sickbay, for example,
seem to match up pretty well with what's being played.  I do hear one or
two words which sort of sound like they could be part of that last line.  I
don't hear the entire phrase spoken, however.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level