tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 04 11:59:28 2001

Re: wa' Qebna'

charghwI':
> wa' Hoch che'lu'meH Qeb

> wa' che'chu'meH Qeb

> In general, I think {-meH} works here better than {-mo'}. These rings
> have a purpose. You are not just explaining a cause or reason for the
> rings. You are explaining their purpose.

There is only one ring in this part of the poem. The first four lines are
in fact inscribed on the ring (that's the fiery writing you see in the
trailers).

{-meH} would work for me for the first line, {wa' Hoch che'lu'meH Qeb},
because that is indeed the purpose of the ring; but in the other lines it
wouldn't, and I'd prefer to preserve the parallelism of the English and
Elvish...

I was thinking of it in terms of a spell-casting, Sauron holding the ring
and saying, ``by [the power of] this ring, may I rule them all...'' etc.
That's how I came to re-cast it into the 1st person.

> > > "and may I have tied it in the state of being evil.", Hmm.

> > "And in the darkness bind them" (1st p. recast, get rid of `dark'
> > metaphor)

> 'ej rarchuqmoHtaH luSo'lu'taHvIS.

Darkness here was a metaphor for evil, rather than just concealment; that's
why I picked the more literal {mIgh}.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <[email protected]>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib