tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 04 12:02:21 2001

Re: KLBC: vaj

From: "Will Martin" <[email protected]>
> > > /ghIq yI'el/ is simple enough: "and then enter."  /ghIq/ is found on
the
> > > KLI's New Words List.  I agree that /vaj/ is not entirely
> > appropriate here.
> > > It IS possible to squish Klingon sentences together, especially
> > with /vaj/,
>
> No, it is not. You can't just use adverbs as if they were conjunctions.
> Unless Okrand does, of course...

Yes, it is.

bIjatlh 'e' yImev.
reH DIvI' Duj vISuv vIneH.
HIqaghQo' qaja'.
'uSDaj chop; chev!

If you'd like me to repunctuate it, here it is:

yIjatlh jup; ghIq yI'el.

This is similar to the four example.  I'm not saying you can shove sentences
together haphazardly, and I'm not saying it necessarily makes them
grammatically a single sentence (which is a fuzzy thing in Klingon, since a
verb and a sentence are almost the same thing), but since we have no
knowledge of how to translate ";" into Klingon, what's the point of
complaining?

Note that the Westgate inscription in Tengwar did not use punctuation
either.

SuStel
Stardate 1759.6

Back to archive top level