tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 21 08:32:23 2001

Re: KLBC: jajwIj

> I can imagine a situation where you'd want to say that you call _yourself_
> something (but other people call you something else).  Maybe if you're trying
> to change your name, but people haven't picked up on it yet.  How would you
> express that?  Perhaps  {jIHvaD Sengval vIpong}?  Or would that just
> sound strange?

This situation popped into my mind when I was writing that reply.
Would a klingon indirectly admit that he is weak in that HE calls himself one
name and everyone else calls him something else?  So I don't think we would see
this in first-person.

jatlh ghaH <DunwI' 'oH pongwIj'e'>, 'ach ghaHvaD qoH pong Hoch.
"He says his name is DunwI', but everyone calls him Fool."

This works in second-person also.  I suppose you could do it first-person too
but like I said, would a klingon admit to such a situation?

>  So, if I wanted to tell my age (something I was thinking about
> today), I would say {qaStaHvIS wa'maH Hut DIS jIyIn} "I'm nineteen years
> old", going against the English example "I have lived nineteen years",
> which does include a completed aspect.

Your sentence is grammatically correct...

bogh - born
wejmaH wej ben  jIbogh - 33 years ago I was born.
wejmaH wej ben  jIboghpu' - 33 years ago I had been born.  I could have been
born 33 years and 1 day ago, or 33 years and 100 days ago, I don't say.  I only
say that 33 years ago that act of being born was already completed.  So,
females going into their 30's could say  cha'maH wa' ben jIboghpu'.

I suppose if you think you were part of some great prophecy you could use the
suffix -ta', making the action intentional.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level