tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 20 02:48:19 2001

About the {{ ' }}

I am a very new learner to tlhIngan Hol.

I have extensively studied Japanese, however, and so I'm hoping a Japanese-tlhIngan Hol savy person can answer me a question on the
pronunciation of the letter {{ ' }}.

Is the sound you create with ' similar/the same to the sound created when you use a small "tsu" in a Japanese word (such as 'matte', or
'shitte')?  The way I handle the small "tsu" in Japanese is by sort of doubling the vowel before it (in 'matte' it becomes 'mah-ah-teh', in
'shitte' it becomes 'she-ee-teh').  I've heard the ' in tlhIngan Hol to be described as the hypen in "uh-oh", and it seems similar to how I
create the second "ah" or "ee" in matte/shitte/etc.

In which case the word {{ 'e' }} which I see used a lot on this list, would be said 'eh-eh-eh'? With the first and last 'eh's being more like
'uh' than a definatel "EH" sound?  Sort of like a breath-click in the throat? @_@

Please let me know, as it will definately benefit my ability to say the {{ ' }} letter.

Qapla'

vajHurghwI'

Back to archive top level