tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 20 09:08:06 2001

Re: About the {{ ' }}

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Van Donovan wrote:
[tlhIngan Hol compared to Japanese &]
[pronunciation of the letter {{ ' }}]
> Is the sound you create with ' similar/the same to the sound created when
> you use a small "tsu" in a Japanese word (such as 'matte', or 'shitte')?

I'm going to defer to others regarding Klingon, as I'm not currently
making a real attempt to learn the language (trying German right now).

> The way I handle the small "tsu" in Japanese is by sort of doubling the
> vowel before it (in 'matte' it becomes 'mah-ah-teh', in 'shitte' it becomes
> 'she-ee-teh').

I'm not sure this is the way to go, though I'm not an expert on Japanese
either...  The small "tsu" should actually bring a cessation of air for
an instant.  If you talk about pronouncing 'shitte' as 'she-ee-teh', I
picture the Japanese word being 'shiite', not 'shitte'.

> I've heard the ' in tlhIngan Hol to be described as the hypen in
> "uh-oh", and it seems similar to how I create the second "ah" or "ee"
> in matte/shitte/etc.

This sounds closer.  Technically, the "'" consonant is a glottal stop; in
that regard I think the Klingon "'" is different than the Japanese "tsu".
It's harder, in a sense.  Or if you view both as a stoppage of airflow,
the Klingon "'" is deep in the throat, but the Japanese "tsu" tends to
stay in the mouth.

> In which case the word {{ 'e' }} which I see used a lot on this list,
> would be said 'eh-eh-eh'? With the first and last 'eh's being more like
> 'uh' than a definatel "EH" sound?  Sort of like a breath-click in the
> throat? @_@

I feel uncomfortable reading 'eh-eh-eh' as the sound, but I think you're
sort of on the right track.  I picture it as a very short, forced 'eh',
catching in the throat before and after -- sudden start, sudden stop.  I
imagine we both could benefit from hearing spoken Klingon.  Time for me
to get out my tapes again.

Hmm, reminds me...  Is there any chance the CK, PK, KGT tapes will be put
on CD?

Anyway, I'm sure there are Klingonists who can answer this better than
I can, or will correct me if I'm wrong, but I wanted to weigh in in case
no one else did.
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    [email protected]    VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||