tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 20 18:08:28 2001

Re: About the {{ ' }}

At 09:01 AM 11/20/01 -0600, Russ Perry Jr wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Van Donovan wrote:
>[tlhIngan Hol compared to Japanese &]
>[pronunciation of the letter {{ ' }}]
> > Is the sound you create with ' similar/the same to the sound created when
> > you use a small "tsu" in a Japanese word (such as 'matte', or 'shitte')?

 From the Japanese that I've studied so far, this comparison sounds correct.
I believe that the Klingon {ma'tey} (which doesn't mean anything) would be
transcribed in Japanese (using the Hepburn system) as "matte" or "mattei".
The Klingon word {matey} (meaning "we scrape") would be transcribed in
Japanese as "mate" or "matei".

>Hmm, reminds me...  Is there any chance the CK, PK, KGT tapes will be put
>on CD?

As has already been mentioned, the Star Trek: Klingon! Language Lab CD
contains about 20 minutes of PK, as an audio track. So even if you don't
have a PC, you should be able to at least play this track in a regular CD
player.
I managed to find Power Klingon on CD on Ebay for about $8 - apparently, a
CD version was produced in the U.K. Unfortunately, it is all on one single
audio track, so you can't skip ahead to specific sections easily.

- taD

Back to archive top level