tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 19 13:28:40 2001

Re: KLBC - SalI e vIwuqpu

Datlh HoD wrote:
: You are idiots.
: *I couldn’t find “idiot” in either of my books...*

DloraH:
> You need to think like a thesaurus. What are some words that are similar in
> meaning.  Sometimes, even when I DO know a word, I will look it up in an
> English dictionary; perhaps the definition will provide some ideas to work
> with.

For instance, you could say *{QIpwI'} "stupid one" (from {QIp} "be stupid") or
*{jIvwI'} "ignorant one, ignoramus" (from {jIv} "be ignorant}) depending on
just what kind of idiot you're talking about.

> In this particular case you could also choose a word from the group of
> name-calling words that we have; some are listed on TKD p178.

: Yes, of course: toDSaHpu' tlhIH.

If you don't want to use an expletive, you can use the ever-popular {qoH}
"fool" which is used in many proverbs in "The Klingon Way".  I'm informed that
{qoH} is glossed as "idiot, fool" on the "Star Trek: Klingon!" CD, but as
"idiot" didn't make it into KGT as an expanded definition, I'm not certain how
reliable this information is.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons