tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 17 09:36:24 2001

RE: KLBC - SalI’ ‘e’ vIwuqpu’

Welcome back to the list Datlh.  Qov was certainly a good BG.  Now I am BG;
I am DloraH ( http://www2.rpa.net/~cheesbro )

> Subject: KLBC - SalI’ ‘e’ vIwuqpu’

When using the pronoun 'e' and creating a Sentence-as-Object (SAO), type 7
suffixes are not allowed on the second verb.  TKD p66.  If you want aspect
it has to go on the first verb.

> Datlh ‘oH pongwIj’e’.
> My name is Datlh.

Good.

> ghom jIH ‘ej jIchu’ naDev.
> I am new here.

What were you intending by [ghom jIH]?  "I am a group".
TKD p60, naDev should be first in its sentence, naDev jIchu'

> “BG” ghaHDI’ Qov’e’ naDev jIH.
> I was here when Qov was the BG.

Good.

> jIHvaD mu’tlheghHommeyvetlh chup Qov.
> Qov recommended those short sentences.

Good.

> tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhlaHchu’ ‘e’ jItul.
> I hope that I will be able to speak Klingon perfectly.

Check that prefix on tul; you have an object.  'e' vItul.

> We are quiet.                            matam.

good

> You are an admiral.                   ‘aj SoH.

good

> He is the prisoner.                    qama’ ghaH.

good

> The prisoner is lazy.                 buD qama’.

good

> They (objects) are blue.            SuD bIH.

good

> You are idiots.                          *I couldn’t find “idiot” in
> either of my books...*

You need to think like a thesaurus.  What are some words that are similar in
meaning.  Sometimes, even when I DO know a word, I will look it up in an
English dictionary; perhaps the definition will provide some ideas to work
with.
In this particular case you could also choose a word from the group of
name-calling words that we have; some are listed on TKD p178.

What books do you have?  For vocabulary you need The Klingon Dictionary
(TKD), Klingon for the Galactic Traveler (KGT), and the New Words List from
the KLI's website.

> I am hungry.                             jIghung.

good

> ... I might once again give up Klingon, then come back years later ...

not yIjegh.  yItlheDQo'.

> My History: I used to be on the boards as Datlh HoD back in '98, but I
> dropped off when I has to go back to school. I;ve since picked back up
> on Klingon, and I'm trying to learn it again.

Well, you did good remembering.  You had only a few minor mistakes.  Perhaps
you will consider joining us at qep'a'.  nuq DaDab?

An additional note: Are you able to turn off the smartquotes?  I know that
some people on the list are not capable of using them.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level