tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 02 23:03:48 2001

Re: onomatopeia

From: "Jiri Baum" <[email protected]>
> ro'Han:
> > Would it be possible to say something like
>
> > ghung qama' 'e' 'avwI' jatlh qama'
> > The prisoner told the guard that the prisoner is hungry.
>
> But how about:
>     ghung qama' 'avwI'vaD 'e' ja' qama'

The correct object of /ja'/ is the person being spoken to, not the speech
(having the speech as the object would require /jatlh/).  And you really
just don't do indirect quotations in Klingon.  I don't happen to recall the
issue of HolQeD where this is all laid out nice and plain, but it's true, as
per Marc Okrand.

jatlh SuStel HIvoq
Stardate 1840.4

Back to archive top level