tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 20 20:26:12 2001

Re: Palm mu'ghom

ja' SuStel:
>...I'd really like to be able to impressively whip out my Palm and
>look up an obscure Klingon word.

It's my experience that it's a lot more impressive to be able to come up
with an obscure Klingon word off the top of my head, and just use the Palm
to prove it. :)

>For those people who have created a
>Klingon dictionary for use on a Palm, what software did you use, and what
>formatting did you do?

I maintain a single carefully groomed vocabulary list in a personal
computer database, with part of speech, source, notes such as [slang] or
[regional], and occasional comments on misspellings or possible jokes.
Every other word list I need is generated as a report from that database.

I use the Dictionary application from Evolutionary Systems.  It provides
almost instantaneous word lookups in both directions, and includes a
"phrases" feature which I use to keep handy TKD's appendix, all of TKW,
toasts and curses and proverbs from PK, the Radio Times stuff, the BOP
callouts, and lots more.  There are both PalmOS and WinCE/PocketPC versions
of the program.

  http://www.evolutionary.net/

The app has a brief free trial period, after which you need a paid
registration number in order to continue using it.  The language module
creation program is free.  One of my database reports yields a text file
which appropriately formatted for input to that program.

There is also a Palm dictionary program called BDicty.  There is a free
version of the application, but there is no PC-based tool available for
making dictionaries for it.  (The publisher apparently offers to turn text
files into dictionary databases as a free service.)

If you don't mind a slightly slower lookup, you can convert a straight text
file into a DOC-formatted Palm database, which you can search and display
with any DOC reader (TealDOC, PalmReader, etc.).  Conversion and reader
tools are freely available.  I keep the text of the Skybox cards in such a
document.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level