tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 20 20:16:57 2001

Oops... re: marshmallows

qatlho', ghunchu'wI'! In his statements, ghunchu'wI' is completely correct.
Here's my *corrected* version of the marshmallow statement I sent (I made
some pretty major errors :)

Firstly, ghunchu'wI' is correct in saying that we should describe the object
in detail, like as if we hadn't heard the word before. I didn't realise
this, I only thought we should find a short phrase that describes the basics
of "being a marshmallow". However, it now becomes clear to me (via
ghunchu'wI') that instead of circumlocuting the object, we should just
describe it. So the first error is that my statement, as a whole, is
invalid.

Secondly, I made a mess-up of the word order. Instead of
<<moQmey na'ran rur 'ej chIS>>
which is wrong, read instead <<na'ran rur moQmey 'ej chIS>> (which conforms
better to the correct word order of object, verb, subject).

Thirdly, according to the discussion the list had a short while ago, "sweet"
I probably could have better written as "resembling saccharin", NOT
"resembling the na'ran" as I did write, as it would seem the na'ran is more
sweet and sour; somewhat more like an orange in taste rather than sugary.

BTW, has anyone considered using <<HaQchor rur>> for "sugary sweet" and
leaving <<na'ran rur>> for fruit and such foods? I know it's not strictly
canon, but it probably describes the taste of sugary foods better (such as
chocolate :)

Thank you for your comments, ghunchu'wI'; I hope the corrections I list are
a bit better use of Klingon.

Qapla' 'ej Satlho'

ro'Han