tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 23 13:55:54 2001

KLBC: Perfect Sangha

Hi,

*yahoo vImuSchoH. wa'Hu' qawHaqwIj luchoHmo' *email vISuqlaHbe'.

[I am coming to hate Yahoo. Yesterday they changed all my account setting
and I was unable to get my email]

mughbe'bej *Buddhist Terms 'e' vIQub. qatlh vIQub? 'oSwI' 'oH *Sangha'e'.
pIj *monastic community mugh *Sangha 'ach *monastic community yajHa'laH
*Europeans. QIjnISmeH *monastic community yajlu' 'ej qech *European
Monasticism tungHa'laH *monastic community. yIqel. QIjnISmeH *Sangha yajlu'
'ach qech *European Monasticism tungHa'be' *Sangha.

[I thought that Buddhist Terms were untranslatable. Why did I think that?
Sangha is an example. Often Sangha is translated as monastic community but
Europeans can misunderstand this. Monastic community still needs to be
explained for someone to understand and can encourage ideas of European
Monasticism. You consider this. Sangha must be explained to be understood
but it will not encourage ideas of European Monasticism.]

I'm going to write the rest of this in English

SarriS Said

>Without grammar, vocabulary is nothing more than sounds to cry at the moon.
>Without words, grammar is nothing more than a dream that one can never
>share. It is the dance between grammar and vocabulary that fascinates those
>of us who love language.

I didn't mean to imply that grammar was worthless. Remember I am trying to
practice the Klingon and I need something to say so don't take any of the
substance too seriously. But relative to French or Greek I think grammar is
less important (these are the only two languages I can comment on). At this
stage in learning French & Greek (about two weeks in) I knew a lot less
about grammar but I knew about the same amount of vocab (very little). To
read and write French comfortably I have had to develop a lot of grammar,
long after I had enough vocab to work with. At the rate I'm going at the
moment (this is a  but pre-emptive) I think I will be comfortable with the
grammar long before I have enough vocab to read or write comfortably
(without constant reference to a dictionary).

SarriS, Qov (sorry for misspelling your name last posting) etc. have all
been really helpful and I don't want to offend. BUT give us beginners a
break, we all come to Klingon with some sort of grand project in mind (mine
is to do with writing a history of the Earth in Klingon). I think we also
realise pretty quickly that this is a far off dream, but its nice to have a
dream.

A few Questions

1)Couldn't find a word for example, so I used 'oSwI' as thing which
represents. Have I missed a more obvious choice?
2)Have I used -lu' correctly? I meant to express the idea of being understood.
3)I used a rhetorical question as I wasn't sure how to say "others have
wondered why I said that". I came up with 'e' vIja 'e' tlhoblu'. This seems
to be close but doesn't really express the why. Any help?

Robert
Robert

 'To not know what happened before
  you were born is to remain