tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 07 08:48:47 2001

Re: Franklin Mint Klingon Watch (pIqaD related)

qurgh wrote:
: I recently got the Klingon BOP watch from the Franklin mint and when I
: first opened it up I noticed something intresting. The 4 number marks on
: the face of the pocket watch (3, 6, 9, 12) were in KLI pIqaD. I guess the
: people at the Franklin mint can type in www.kli.org ;)
:
: Seeing this also gave me some questions. Since the watch is TM Paramount
: Pictures, did they get permission to use these numbers from the KLI? Do
: they need permission to do that? or is it some kind of admission that the
: pIqaD info on the KLI page is right?

I wouldn't go that far, though I would hope that the asked the KLI for
permission to use the font.  (Lawrence?)

Where precisely does the registered trademark symbol - the circled (R) - appear
on the watch?  If it's after the words "Klingon" or "Star Trek", this means
that the words "Klingon" and "Star Trek" are Paramount trademarks, not the
watch.  If you look on the covers of TKD, KGT, TKW, etc., you'll often see
every occurrence of "Klingon" and "Star Trek" so labeled.  What this means is
that the Franklin Mint is officially licensed by Paramount to use its
trademarks and sell Star Trek(R) and Klingon(R) related merchandise, as is the
KLI.

Speaking of trademarks, Okrand translated the copyright statement for SkyBox,
another manufacturer licensed by Paramount:

  TM, (R) c. je tera' DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-loS Paramount Pictures. Hoch SeH.
  Paramount Pictures malja' permey bIH Star Trek pong'e' Deghmey'e' je.
  bIH lo' SkyBox International, Inc. 'e' chaw'.

  TM, (R) c.1994 Paramount Pictures. All rights reserved. "Star Trek"
  and related marks are trademarks of Paramount Pictures. SkyBox
  International, Inc. Authorized user.

This explicitly states:

  Paramount Pictures malja' permey bIH Star Trek pong'e' Deghmey'e' je.
  The "Star Trek" name and symbols are trademarks of Paramount Pictures.

Note that "Star Trek" is the trademark {malja' per}, not {Hov leng} - which is
why Okrand didn't translate it into Klingon here as he's done elsewhere.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level