tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 28 14:17:00 2001

RE: KLBC: Mountains and mice

naQSej said:

	qen *George*, pInwI', jIHvaD *Latin* HolDaq 'op mu'mey mughta'.

Watch out for Klingon word order here - George is the subject of the
sentence, doing the action. So {*George, pInwI'} should go at the end of the
sentence and not at the beginning.

As you mention later, "translating into Latin" wouldn't use the suffix
{-Daq}. English uses words such as "in" and "into" in many different ways,
but in Klingon {-Daq} is reserved for physical location.
You could recast the sentence into several smaller ones, to indicate that he
translated words into Latin:
"He translated some words for me. He used Latin."

	jabbI'ID tagh 'ej qon *Montes geminant, parturitur ridiculus mus*.

{tagh} means "begin a process". So if he's *ending* the e-mail, {ta'}
("accomplish") or {ngeH} ("send") might be the verb to use.
Also, since he recorded the phrase, it might be good to add a colon and
write it as:
{...'ej qon: *Montes geminant, parturitur ridiculus mus*}
Otherwise, someone would interpret the Latin quote as the subject, and think
*it* is doing the recording.

	chay' vImughlaH?

	jach HuDmey, boghmo' Qa'Hom

	jach HuDmey, 'ej Qa'Hom luboghmoH (neH)

	... Qa'Hom Dogh?

	'ach Doghba 'HuDmeyvo' Qa'Hom. ghaytan 'utbe' 'Dogh'

	... Qa'Hom mach (Qa'Hom tIn law', *mouse* tIn puS).

	joq nuq?

Hmmmm, all of these are good attempts. I don't know what the original
context is for the latin phrase, so I'm not sure which would be best.
Don't forget that noun-connecting words, such as {joq}, {je}, and {ghap}, go
after the last noun in a sequence. So {nuq joq?} might make more sense here
(although it's just a sentence fragment anyway).

	jIjatlh 'e' vIHech:

	Recently George, my boss, translated some words into Latin for me
[if not
	Daq, what? Daq seems a bit too concrete to me]. He ended his e-mail
by
	writing "the mountains groaned, and brought forth a ridiculous
mouse".

	How can I translate it?

	"The mountains screamed because a qahom was born.

	"The mountains screamed and they (only) caused a qahom to be born."

	"A foolish qahom"? But a qahom from a mountain is obviously foolish.

	Probably "foolish" is unnecessary.

	"A small qahom" (a qahom is bigger than a mouse).

	Or what?

Hmmmm, I suppose I personally would say:
{'uSchoH HuDmey, 'ej Qa'Hom lulIng} "The mountains became noisy, and they
produced a Qa'Hom"
But without knowing the context of the Latin phrase, any of your suggestions
would probably work.

- taD

Back to archive top level