tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 06 14:26:27 2001

Klingon idioms

Patrick asks:
: Are there any more idioms that aren't in the idioms section of KGT? From
: TKW, I have {Hovmey Davan), (pe''egh) and (pIpyuS yIghor!) From the
: "Language Gaffes" section of KGT, I have (ro'lIj HI'ang!) From post-KGT
: sources, I have (tIngvo' 'evDaq chanDaq), ('arlogh Qoylu'pu'?), and now
: (pumDI' 'etlh)

I don't have a separate list of idioms, but searching "idiom" quickly in my own
annotated dictionary - not counting items flagged KGT (idioms appear throughout
KGT, not just limited to the one section) - produces:

{ghIchwIj DabochmoHchugh ghIchlIj qanob}
"If you shine my nose, I will give you your nose."
(A common idiom meaning: Don't try to fool me. Do not try to mislead me if you
value your life.) PK

"There is also an idiomatic phrase which conveys the idea of jealousy: {SuD
veqlargh mInDu'}. Literally, this means 'Fek'lhr's eyes are yellow/green,' but
it is used to express the idea that somebody is jealous. It would be used in an
exchange such as: