tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 06 15:54:11 2001

RE: Noun phrases (was RE: KLBC: 'ol)

charghwI':
> IIRC, the phrase Okrand used when he explained this
> construction was {nargh qaSuchmeH 'eb}, so I'm pretty
> sure that the "verbal" form of {-meH} can be paired
> with what superficially appears to be a noun-noun
> construction.

ter'eS:
: Would you mind pointing me toward the source of this canon you mention? Is
: it in KGT? Where? I've been looking for this sort of reference for quite
: some time now and have failed to find it and would appreciate it if you
: could cite it instead of paraphrasing it so I'd know it really is canon and
: not just the newest version of {'I'}.>>
:
: I have a reference on my website to this and it lists
: HolQeD, v7, n2, p14 as the source.  I'm at work now
: and don't have access to my HolQeDs at the moment.
: If you do, maybe you could look it up.  Otherwise
: I'll check when I get home.

: What's ironic about this is I'm almost positive that
: Okrand came up with this in response to _your_
: question of how to say "It's too late to visit you."!

It's originally from one of Okrand's infrequent startrek.klingon posts (Jan.
1998).  I have part of his post quoted in my AKD:

  I'd probably take an idiomatic approach incorporating the phrase
  {nargh 'eb} "the opportunity escapes" ({nargh} escape, {'eb}
  opportunity). This goes along with other expressions such as
  {'eb jon} "he/she captures the opportunity" or, more colloquially
  "he/she seizes the opportunity."

along with three possible translations for "I was too late to visit you":

  jIpaSqu'mo' narghpu' qaSuchmeH 'eb
  Because I'm very late, the opportunity to visit you has escaped.

  qaSuch vIneH 'ach narghpu' 'eb. jIpaSqu'
  I want to visit you, but the opportunity has escaped. I am very late.

  qaSuchlaHbe'. jIpaSqu' vaj narghpu' 'eb
  I cannot visit you. I am very late, thus the opportunity has escaped.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level