tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 18 20:34:43 2001

Re: body parts?

ja' HomDoq:
>I asked
>> : The question has come up whether things like {'aD}, {Somraw}, etc.
>> : etc. are body parts in the sense that they take the plural in {-Du'}.
>
>Voragh answered:
>> Yes, they do.  Countable body parts take {-Du'}, even if they come from
>>several
>> different bodies:
>>
>yes, but your examples don't really say anything about {'aD} and {Somraw}
>they all refer to things that I readily accept as being body parts
>
>veins and muscles don't "feel" like body parts to me

Is that because they're internal?  Based on a comment about food
preparation on page 88 of KGT, I get the impression that the criterion for
"body part" is that it be anatomically identifiable.  For what it's worth,
the list of "animal parts" on that page does include {'aD} along with such
things as {namwech} and {wuS}.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level