tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 18 20:18:26 2001

RE: Grammar Highlight Each Day (net + -lu')

voragh:

The thing that you've missed is that the pronoun {net} IMPLIES the {-lu'} on
the second verb, therefore making it unnecessary, redundant, repetitive and
unneeded. {{:)>

There is never a REASON to use {-lu'} on the second verb when you use {net}.
The whole reason it seems that Okrand came up with {net} was to avoid using
{-lu'} on the second verb with {'e'}, and then he subsequently did so anyway
in TKW, as you point out. I winced when I saw that. I really think he just
forgot that he made {net} to solve this problem.

The problem with using {-lu'} on the second verb with {'e'} is that it
essentially creates a weird sort of passive voiced Sentence As Subject
construction, which isn't supposed to exist in Klingon.

Anyway, I thought it was a weird statement to say that {-lu'} is not allowed
on the second verb in an SAO with {net}. That is fundamentally a different
kind of statement than the one you made because the one you made is a simple
rule we are not supposed to break, even though it would make sense if we
broke it. The chutqoq that peHruS suggests is not really a rule, but
breaking it would be gibberish.

It would be like saying that it is against the rules to say {vIlegh'egh} or
{jIleghchuq}. Whether there's a rule or not, these are meaningless.

SarrIS

Back to archive top level