tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 18 22:54:42 2001

Re: Grammar Highlight Each Day (net + -lu')

In a message dated 1/18/2001 2:58:46 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Using {-lu'} on the second verb of a SAO may be poor style in your opinion,
> but
> it is grammatical.  Or have I missed something?

While you are absolutely correct that the stated rule is that the "second"
verb, by rule, may not take an aspect suffix, logic states that
{net}-refferent "second" verbs may not take the suffix {-lu'}.  The reasoning
is that {net} already refers to "one" as the indefinite subject.  While I
will search for further evidence, yea, even proof, I will merely submit now
that at least the use of {-lu'} is unnecessary redundancy.

Although I have not found anything in canon to support this statement,
discussion on this listserv has revealed a general consensus that {net} +
{-lu'} is not good style, if not totally illogical.

peHruS

Back to archive top level