tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 18 12:58:00 2001

Re: Grammar Highlight Each Day (net + -lu')

peHruS:
: When the pronoun {net} refers back to a previous sentence as the object
: of the verb, that verb may not take the type 5 suffix {-lu'}.

Wrong.  That verb - called by Okrand the "second verb" in his explanation in
TKD p. 65f. - may not take a Type *7* (aspect) suffix:

  "Klingon has two special pronouns, {'e'} and {net}, which refer to
   the previous sentence as a whole. They are used primarily, though
   not exclusively, with verbs of thinking or observation (such as
   know, see). They are always treated as the object of the verb, and
   the verb always takes a prefix indicating a third-person singular
   object. What is a single sentence in English is often two sentences
   in Klingon. {net} is used only under special circumstances, but
   {'e'} is common... In complex sentences of this type, the second
   verb never takes an aspect suffix."

... a rule even Okrand has violated on occasion.  I can find no mention of any
other suffix types being disallowed.  Where do you derive this "rule" from?
Certainly not from observation, as we have only two canonical examples with
{net}, both discussed in TKD (loc. cit.):

  qama'pu' DIHoH net Sov
  One knows we kill prisoners. TKD

  Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej
  One certainly finds it useful for the mission. TKD
  "You will find it useful." (ST3 subtitles)

Now if you look at {'e'} which is more common than and, as far as we know,
works the same as {net}, we find:

  yInlu'taH 'e' bajnISlu'
  Survival must be earned. TKW

  yay chavlu' 'e' bajnISlu'
  Victory must be earned. TKW

Using {-lu'} on the second verb of a SAO may be poor style in your opinion, but
it is grammatical.  Or have I missed something?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level