tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 20 08:07:28 2001

Re: K'Zhen Zu-Merz

In message <l03020906b6b792a1b478@[216.117.66.44]> Alan Anderson writes:
> >> [I could point to the verbs {Dabej} "you watch it" and {Dabbej} "he
> >> certainly resides (in)" as support for my observation, but they're not
> >> nouns.]
> >>
> >[and thus I would stress both on the first syllable]
>
> Then I think you have an odd accent. :-)  A verb prefixes is almost *never*
> stressed when I speak, unless I specifically want to emphasize it.

oops, HIvqa' veqlargh. I read {Dabej} and thought "he certainly acts as
s.o.", my mistake...

> >I could argue that {tlhIngan} really is a compound noun,
> >and I certainly stress the first noun in a N-N construction
> >(and by extension the first noun of a compound noun) more
> >than the second.
>
> Such an argument essentially removes any basis for further discussion.

really? Do'Ha'.

> >Does {DIlyum} occur in spoken form on one of the two tapes
> >CK or PK? or how do you know, it's not stressed on the second
> >syllable?
>
> It's one of the "fossil" words from the original series.  In the episode
> "Errand of Mercy", Spock posed as a Vulcan merchant, trading in kevas and
> trillium.

could be Spocks "accent" if he wasn't Vulcan... maybe {DIlyum}
is a loan word and "borrowed" the stress pattern along with the sounds.

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]

Back to archive top level