tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 19 20:09:32 2001

Re: K'Zhen Zu-Merz

ja' HomDoq:
>...do you pronounce
>the [n] in <Gennie> (noticeably) longer than the [n] in
><genesis>?

Although I can imagine a difference, I belive that I pronounce them almost
the same.  I consider that to be a failing of the spelling of "genesis",
however, and I would transliterate it with a double {n} in Klingon.

>> [I could point to the verbs {Dabej} "you watch it" and {Dabbej} "he
>> certainly resides (in)" as support for my observation, but they're not
>> nouns.]
>>
>[and thus I would stress both on the first syllable]

Then I think you have an odd accent. :-)  A verb prefixes is almost *never*
stressed when I speak, unless I specifically want to emphasize it.

>I could argue that {tlhIngan} really is a compound noun,
>and I certainly stress the first noun in a N-N construction
>(and by extension the first noun of a compound noun) more
>than the second.

Such an argument essentially removes any basis for further discussion.

>Does {DIlyum} occur in spoken form on one of the two tapes
>CK or PK? or how do you know, it's not stressed on the second
>syllable?

It's one of the "fossil" words from the original series.  In the episode
"Errand of Mercy", Spock posed as a Vulcan merchant, trading in kevas and
trillium.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level