tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 19 06:18:11 2001

RE: "The Teacher"

Voragh wrote:
> Coincidentally, {ghojmoHwI'} "teacher, mentor" is listed in the glossary
> of
> the brand new DeCandido Trek novel _Diplomatic Implausibility_, which
> appears to have been vetted by Okrand.
>
> BTW, I noticed that DujHoD forgot to tell you how to translate your
> sentence:
>
>   <<ghojmoHwI'>> jIH.
>   I am "The Teacher".
>   ("Teacher" I-am)
>
> I used quotes for your monicker because the same sentence, when spoken,
> also means:
>
>   ghojmoHwI' jIH.
>   I am a teacher.
>   (teacher I-am)
>
> To avoid this confusion, you can also say:
>
>   <<ghojmoHwI'>> 'oH pongwIj'e'.
>   My name is "The Teacher".
>   ("Teacher" it-is my-name+TOPIC)
>
> If this "backwards" word order doesn't make sense yet, read the grammar
> portion of TKD a couple of times, especially the section on syntax.  It is
> a little dry and confusing the first time through, so don't hesitate to
> ask
> questions of the Beginning Grammarian.  Just flag your post with "KLBC".
>
> Welcome to the list.  Qapla'!

Welcome to the list, Joe ! I'm taD, the current Beginner's Grammarian. It's
my job to help beginners here with Klingon. As Voragh already mentioned, you
can add the letters "KLBC" to your subject line whenever you want me to
check your work, or if you have a question about how to say something in
Klingon. If you're a little unsure whether you said something properly in
Klingon, you can also include what you were trying to say, in English. This
will make it easier for me to make sure that you say what you are trying to
say.

As was already mentioned, the Klingon word for "teacher" is actually
{ghojmoHwI'} . However, if you choose a Klingon name, it doesn't necessarily
have to be your occupation. Some people on the list have names that reflect
what they do (such as Holtej or ghunchu'wI'); some are based on their real
names (such as my Klingon name), and others chose a name just because it
sounds like a Klingon name (I think Voragh's is a combination of two Klingon
names from Star Trek).

Something that I've found helpful in learning the language is the free
Klingon Language postal course. You can learn by normal mail, or if postal
costs are a problem, you can take the postal course by email. You can find