tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 17 14:16:29 2001

Re: Gary & Mike

The first line's origin is mysterious...

>	jee grath choo.  jee vacho:		"I would love to go."

...but the other two are definitely straight from TKD's appendix.

>	tinkoo khol dajata			"Holy Crap!  You speak
>Klingon?"

TLIngan khol da-jatl-A {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'} "Do you speak Klingon?"

>	kishlakee				"Fluently!"

khish-LAKH {HISlaH} "Yes."

The pronunciation is poor enough to make speculation about the first line
difficult.

The expletive is missing from the second line -- perhaps it was
accidentally appended to the end of the first one.

Qu'vatlh, ghuy'cha' => jee vacho?

After much battle with the Warrior's Anthem as presented in DS9's "Soldiers
of the Empire", I've learned to look for shifted vowel sounds.  The "a" in
"grath" could be a mispronounced {o} in {ghoS}.

jIghoSchu' => jee grath choo?

I've also learned to postulate an unpronounced trailing {H}.  Maybe the
"jee" is supposed to be {jIH}.  The "vacho" could be something ending with
{-choH}.  Or maybe whoever put together the line couldn't find the desired
words and just pulled a random snip from somewhere in TKD, maybe the top of
page 40:  jIyajchu'

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level