tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 17 14:05:07 2001

pong

Hello fellow Klingon freaks...I mean speakers:

Recently, the subject of "pong" came up in a dialog
with a new memeber. Many people have debated this over
the years, although I have not seen these debates, and
as I recall, the results have been inclusive. Let me
throw in my 10 cents at this time.

Most people who have debated this have been native
English speakers. Ergo, most people have been trying
to say "My name is..." in Klingon. This doesn't work
too well. I think that a little look at some other
languages is needed to solve this. For instance, in
both the French "Je m'appelle..." and the Spanish "Me
llamo...," the phrase literally translated to "I call
myself...." Another language, still English but about
1200 years old, says "... min namma." This essentially
means "...my name" or "... is my name." While none of
these are exact translations into Klingon, I think
that they do help open the minds of Klingon speakers.
To tell you the truth, I think that a good one would
be "pong...." Very blunt, to the point, and most
Klingon.

Matthew