tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 15 09:46:17 2001

Re: early bird

De'vID wrote:
: How does one use {'eq} "early"? I remember the very brief example from
: one of the tapes (I think CK).  It seems to indicate that {'eq} means
: "early" in the sense of being ahead of time for something, and
: (possibly) not in the sense of indicating a time, say, from past
: midnight to dawn.

{'eq} "be early" has been used only once in canon:

  'eq.
  She's early. CK

However, let's look at its antonym, {paS} "be late", is used:

  paS.
  He's late. CK

Well, that's no more help.

: I wanted to say something like, "Because I have a presentation to make
: today, I woke up early" (or "earlier than usual"... something along
: those lines).
:
: DaHjaj jInmol vImuchmo', jIvemchoHDI' jI'eq.  ?
: Today because I will present a project, when I woke up I was early.
:
: DaHjaj jInmol vImuchmo', DaHjaj jIvemmeH poH 'eq law'
: jIvemmeH poH motlh  'eq puS.  ?
: Today because I will present a project, today's period of time when
: I wake up is earlier than the usual period of time when I wake up,
: i.e. I woke up earlier than usual.

Fortunately, on startrek.klingon (1/98) Okrand was asked how to translate "I
was too late to visit you" and gave three ways to recast the idea of being "too
late":

  jIpaSqu'mo' narghpu' qaSuchmeH 'eb.
  Because I'm very late, the opportunity to visit you has escaped.

  qaSuch vIneH 'ach narghpu' 'eb.  jIpaSqu'.
  I want to visit you, but the opportunity has escaped. I am very late.

  qaSuchlaHbe'.  jIpaSqu' vaj narghpu' 'eb.
  I cannot visit you. I am very late, thus the opportunity has escaped.

These should also work for "too early, earlier than usual" or, at least, point
you in the right direction.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons