tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 15 02:48:41 2001

Re: paq

paq jIlaD

The author use the words either in the anglicized version or keeps then
in tlhIngan Hol where it is hard to translate them.
In his acknowledgments he states:

snipped....
I employed several valuble references while writing, primarily The
StarTrek Encyclopedia, -is is my not so mumble opinion that people should
not be alloweed to write a Trek novel without a copy of this book or
CD-rom within reach at all time. Other references used the Star Trek
Chronology, The Klingon Dictionary, TNG Companion, the DS9 Companion, Star
Trek Klingon : CD-roms.
Helpful people included Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen and his cronies at the
Klingon Language Institute and the aforementioned Marc Okrand who kept my
linquists straight and vetted the glossary.

Lt.Commander Maud "malqa" Freifelder         l MAJ. Maud Freifelder SFMC(R)
Chief Security Officer USS Triumph NCC-26228 l Military Police
"Triumph Against All Odds"                   l 622 MSG  2 BN/2 BDE
STARFLEET/Region 2                           l "Have Phaser, Will Travel"
                         [email protected]/aka tfn.net

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Steven Boozer wrote:

> malqa wrote:
>
> : I picked up the new TNG paperback called "Diplomatic Implausibility" by
> : Keith R.A. DeCandido and found to my surprise that he uses tlhIngan Hol
> : throughout the book.  Some of it is anglicized bat'leth for betleH
> : but he has an entire Glossary of Klingon words in the back of the book
> : where he gives the tlhIngan Hol spelling, the anglicized spelling, the
> : definition and what episode it first appeared in.
>
> So, how is his Klingon?  (Does he thank anyone for helping him with the
> Klingon?)  Or does he just scatter words and phrases from TKD throughout the
> text as some writers have done?  (tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?  batlh Daqawlu'taH!
> bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh.  Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam. etc.)
>
> Other than the Klingon, how's the book?  I'm assuming it's a novel, qar'a'?
>

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level