tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 14 13:10:17 2001

Re: Using names

Da'veS asked:

: I am new to the list, and to tlhngan-Hol. I just bought a copy
: of TKD last night.  I looked in it for information on the proper
: use of "pong", but did not see anything specific to my question.
: What is the proper way to introduce oneself in tlhIngan-Hol?
: (i.e. My name is...)

There's a section in the FAQ on that very question which I've attached:

    http://higbee.cots.net/~holtej/klingon/faq.htm#2.1

2.1 How do I say "my name is..."?

[{pong} as a noun] (Holtej, Wed, 20 Jul 1994)
    {pong} is a really nasty word, especially since most beginners really want
to use it! Using pong as a noun, you'd have to use a pronoun to get the "to be"
construction (TKD 6.3). For example:

     Holtej 'oH pongwIj'e'
     (My name is Holtej)

[{pong} as a verb] (charghwI', Wed, 20 Mar 1996)
    How many times do we have to respond to "How do I say, 'My name is Fred in
Klingon," by evading the obvious verb {pong} because we simply don't know how
to use it?

(charghwI', Sun, 14 May 95)
     We don't really know how to handle verbs like {pong}, since they require
two objects. The subject is the one who is naming or calling. One object is the
person being named and the other object is the name. The closest I can come to
using this verb is something like {charghwI' mupong tlhInganpu'}. Still, this
is awkward and doesn't work very well when you try to introduce a friend. (Just
try it.) "You can call my friend 'Holtej'." Most people fall back to using the
noun form. {jupwI' pong 'oH Holtej'e'}.

[BTW:  I'm not sure I agree with charghwI' (a.k.a. SarrIS) that {pong} requires
a double object.  We have just one odd example - with {-lu'} yet! - by Okrand
of the verb {pong} in context:

  roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH
  [Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply "The Homeworld." (S27)

Must {pong} always be used with {-lu'}?  We don't know; we only have the one
example.  Verbs like "name", "call", "dub" etc. do require double direct
objects in English, Latin and other languages, but Klingon may not work that
way.  I think apposition may be more productive.  But that's a long discussion
for another time!]

Read the FAQ if you haven't yet at

    http://higbee.cots.net/~holtej/klingon/faq.htm

Unlike a lot of other FAQs, this one is full of genuinely useful information
based on the questions people invariably ask when the start learning Klingon
and join this mailing list.  You will want to check the section on the
Beginning Grammarian at

    http://higbee.cots.net/~holtej/klingon/faq.htm#1.2.1

Welcome to the list Da'veS.  Don't hesitate to ask questions or otherwise
participate in the discussions.

Qapla'!

--
Voragh