tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 13 05:56:53 2001

RE: KLBC Pronoun prefix mnemonics

naQSej said:

> vIti'pu'
>
> jIjIr                        I rotate
>
> petaQ, qaqaD        I challenge you, scum
>
> HoD vIvoqbe'        I don't trust him, the captain
>
> suvwI'wI' SaSaH    I care for you, my warriors
>
> 'oQqarmey vIvut    I cook them, tubers
>
> bIQDaq bIbIr         you are cold in the water
>
> chab DaqengtaHvIS chochol   you approach me with a pie
>
> Da' DaDa              you act like a corporal
>
> jujuS jay'              you're *!>%ing  overtaking us [on a motor
> bike]
>
> ghoqwI'pu' DaDaq       you eavesdrop on them, the spies
>
> QongDaqDaq Qong    he sleeps in a bed
>
> mumuS bu'          he hates me, the sergeant
>
> DuDuQmeH Daqtagh lo'   he will stab you with a Daqtagh
>
> buy'bogh pa'Daq legh     he sees her across a crowded room
>
> nunughI' bu'   he twists his knuckles into our heads, the Sergeant
>
> ghawranvaD lIlIH     he will introduce you to Gowron

This is correct - just remember that the prefix {lI-} means that the object
is "you (plural)". So if you visualize the sentence, you should imagine
someone is introducing a group of people to Gowron.
Similarly, for the sentence {De' Dajqu' lIlI'} below, be sure to remember
that it's "you (plural)".
{De' Dajqu' lIlI'} "They transmitted data fascinating information to you
all".

> loSSaD Hughmey SIj     he cut four thousand throats

Whoops - I missed something in this sentence the first time. (Hagh qoHpu'
neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu')
{Hugh} ("throat") is a body part, and so it should have the suffix {-Du'}
instead of the suffix {-mey}.
Or, you can just leave off the plural suffix entirely. Since you've used the
number {loSSaD} here, it's perfectly clear that you're talking about more
than one throat.

> mamaw'          we are mad
>
> bIpIH, vaj pIqop     we suspect you so we arrest you
>
> 'Iw HIq wIwIv     we choose it, the blood wine
>
> negh, RomuluSDaq rengeH   soldiers, we send you to Romulus
>
> tlhoy pu'mey DIDIl    we paid too much for the phasers
>
> SuSuD vaj SumIpbe'    you gamble so you are poor
>
> tunej 'ej  tutu'    you will all look for me and you will find me
>
> QujwI' bobot      you all blocked him, the player
>
> veS rInDI' chechegh    you will all return to us when the war is over

Whoops - here's another problem I missed the first time around. {veS}
("warfare") is the subject of the verb {rIn}, so it should go after {rIn}.
Also, {veS} is the general term for "warfare". A specific instance of war is
{noH}, so this would be the better noun to use.
{rInDI' noH, chechegh} "When the war is over, you will all return to us"

> ropbogh nuvpu' boboQ      you all helped them, the sick people
>
> qachvo' Sup qama'pu'       they jump from the building, the prisoners
>
> mumuH      they will execute me
>
> nIteb nIteb chabmey     they fill you up by themselves, dumplings
>
> lurSa luluH         they make her confess, Lursa
>
> nunuQ verenganpu'    they annoy us, the Ferengi
>
> De' Dajqu' lIlI'      they transmitted data to you, fascinating
> information
>
> ghobchuq loDnI'pu'      the brothers fight one another
>
> yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep   live long and prosper!
>
> pepegh     keep the secret (all of you)!
>
> HIHIv      attack me!
>
> to'waQ yIyIv    chew the ligament!
>
> tlhaq'a'Daq ghoghom    meet us at the clock!
>
> pu'DaH tItI'     fix them, the phaser banks!

majQa'.
moHaq DIyajchu'jaj maH!

- taD

Back to archive top level