tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 13 05:54:31 2001

RE: KLBC Re: chay' pIm {-be'} {-Ha'} je

Jeremy said:
> Would something like:
>
> {raghlI'bogh jaghpu' lommey pIw rur tlhuHlIj pIw}
>
> work too?
>
> Do you think it more closely matches the simplicity of the original
> phrase?
> Are there glaring gramatical blunders?

This sentence looks good. The only suggestion that I can see would be in the
placement of {raghlI'bogh}.
Depending on how you parse the sentence, you could read it as two different
meanings (I'll use brackets to separate the noun phrases):

[raghlI'bogh jaghpu'] lommey -- "The corpses of [the rotting enemies]"
or
raghlI'bogh [jaghpu' lommey] -- "The rotting [corpses of enemies]"

If you move {raghlI'bogh} directly before {lommey}, you'll get:
{jaghpu' raghlI'bogh lommey} "The enemies' rotting corpses" or literally
"the corpses which decay, of the enemies"
This makes the sentence a little less ambiguous.
However, I understood exactly what you meant with your original sentence, so
there shouldn't be a problem with leaving it the way it is.

- taD

Back to archive top level