tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 09 08:09:59 2001

Re: Study Buddies

Body language is definitely important.  I hadn't even considered it at this
stage of the game.  I just wanted to practice and learn the pronunciations.
Is there a source which describes some of the body language?  I know there
are many of them for the different cultures here on Earth.  If not, it might
be a good idea to start a source on the KLI web site or perhaps make the
suggestion to have it included in an update to the Galactic Traveler book.

Also, I want to ensure that I am pronouncing one of the characters correctly.
 According to Okrand, the "ch" is pronounced like the ch in Bach; however,
many non-German speakers pronounce this name incorrectly -- more like a k
sound.  The true German sound of the "ch" in this circumstance is deeper
within the throat.  It can be felt about midway down.  To get the full
feeling of this, say "nachts," where the "a" is pronounced the same as in
Klingon and the other letters are the same as in English.  Many non-German
speakers say that when this sound is pronounced it sounds like a person is
spitting and sputtering.  With what I have just described and if it makes
sense to anyone, is this the correct pronunciation of "ch" in Klingon?

Valerie  :-)~

Peace!

Back to archive top level