tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 08 19:18:08 2001

Re: chay' pIm {-be'} {-Ha'} je

chIl'eghbogh nejwI':
> After listening yesterday to NPR's story on Shakespearean villains,
> I attempted to translate the epithet: "Your breath reeks like the
> rotting bodies of your enemies." into a Klingon insult: "Your breath
> reeks like the dishonored still-rotting scattered corpses of your ancestors."
>
> First I considered: {He'So'qu' tlhuHlIj; nontaHneSbe'bogh no'lI' lommey rur.}
> then I considered: {He'So'qu' tlhuHlIj; nontaHneSHa'bogh no'lI' lommey rur.}
>
> My perception is that {-neSHa'} carriers the sense better.

That's not how {-neS} is used.  {-neS} is used to show respect by the
speaker to the listener, and in some cases (with some verbs of fighting)
indicate fighting to the death.  I'm not sure what effect {-be'} would
have on {-neS}, but it's likely not what you intend.  Also, I'm not sure
where you're getting the idea of "scattered" from.  Maybe it's from
the {-mey} on {lom}.  But a {lom} is not a body part (correct me
grammarians if I'm wrong on this), and would normally take a {-mey}.
And finally, {-Ha'} always follows the verb root (though we have a canon
example otherwise), and so you can't put it after {-neS}.

> Qar'a'?

nuqjatlh?

> chIl'eghbogh nejwI'

tlhaQ qechvam.  nuqDaq bIchIl'eghpu'?