tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 08 09:03:30 2001

re: Mincing Words

> From: [email protected]
> Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:53:16 EST

> Recently, a very kind individual has assisted me with a few translations.
> I  will not name names to protect the innocent.  I will allow that person
> to  reveal him/herself if he/she wishes.
>
> This individual was uncertain if some of you were commending or
> challenging  me because of the uncertainty of typos.  If you are
> challenging me, then I  accept.  I may be physically frail and weak, but
> I have a heart of fire.  I  am a warrior who prefers to die -- and
> probably will -- defending my honor,  than to cower away like a bully.  I
> believe that every day is a good day to  die.

I don't care about typos. I don't care about frailty. You get no more and
no less respect from me for being strong or frail. Until you describe
yourself, in this context of only words, I have no means of measuring your
strength, nor do you mine. What I DO care about is keeping this message
list on topic. There is only one rule and it is a simple one:

All posts here must either have the Klingon language as its topic, or they
must use the language. Talk about whatever you like, so long as you say it
in Klingon, or write in whatever language you like (though English will get
you more responses) so long as you write about the language.

You are doing neither in your message. I do not respect that.

And so that I do not violate the rules I am professing:

QaghHomlIj vISaHbe'. bIpujchugh qoj bIHoSchugh jISaHbe'. qavuvDI' qoj
qavuvHa'DI' HoSlIj vIqelbe'. HoSlIj ngoQ neH vISaH. QIn tetlhvamDaq
bIDel'eghpa' HoSlIj vIchovlaHbe'. jIDel'eghpa' HoSwIj DachovlaHbe'.
QIntetlhvam ngoQ vISaHchu'. wa' chut neH poQ:

naDev tlhIngan Hol lo'nIS Hoch QIn qoj tlhIngan Hol qelnIS Hoch QIn.
tlhIngan Hol Dalo'taHvIS qechlIj SaHbe'lu'. qay'be'. tlhIngan Hol
DaqeltaHvIS Hol Dalo'bogh SaHbe'lu' ('ach DIvI' Hol maSlu' jatlhlaHmo'
HochHom).

chutvam DabIvpu' 'e' vIvuvHa'.

'ej chutvam vIchupbogh vIpabmeH:

> SarrIS:  I do understand the meaning of the word "Peace."  I have fought
> many  battles -- physically, mentally, and emotionally -- against people
> who wished  to attack me because I am physically frail.  Each time, I
> have come away  stronger but wishing that things did not have to be this
> way.  I prefer  people to have tolerance for one another and to attempt
> to "get along."   (Don't get me wrong.  I will fight anyone with any or
> no weapons to protect  my honor and will rejoice at the thrill of victory
> or defeat.  I am happy  with knowing that I have defended my honor -- and
> maybe letting people know  to not mess with me in the future because I
> will defend myself -- and walk  away from each experience learning
> something.)

roj SuqmeH tlhoblu'chugh ghu' vIvoq. SuvchuqQo'DI' nuvpu' 'ej qaDchuqQo'DI'
nuvpu' 'ej voqchuq nuvpu' roj chaH. <<roj, roj, roj!>> lujatlhDI' 'ej
maqqa' 'ej maqqa' rojHa'choH. vay' voqHa'moH ghu'vam.

I believe that peace is not something that one asks of another. I believe
that peace is something that is offered from both sides, or it does not
exist at all. The request for peace itself dispells peace because it
engages the exchange of power that true peace does not involve.

rap tIqchaj 'e' lughovDI' roj chaH. jatlhlu'DI' <<roj!>> pImlaw' tIqchaj
net pIH. chaq qoy'be'lu'chugh HIvlu' net pIH. tIqwIj voqHa'choHmoH mu'vam.
jIvaQchoHbe'meH chIch jItam'eghnISchoHmoH. <<qatlh roj chupnIS nuvvam? taj
So'lu''a'?>>

Peace is that which exists between peers who recognize that which is common
between them. The request for peace immediately suggests a difference
between the one making and the one receiving the request. It assumes
agression would happen without the request and so, to my heart, it stirs
agression that would likely not have existed without the request. It raises
my hackles and causes me to struggle with a new need to calm myself where
there was no need before the request. "Why does this person so distrust me
that she feels a need to request peace? Is there a daggar beneath her soft
cloak?"

rojna' 'oHbe' roj'e' jatlhlu'bogh. *Tao* rur.

Like the Tao, the peace that can be spoken is not the true peace.

vaj Degh DaDI' mu' roj jatlhqa'lu'bogh, nuvvam vIvoqHa'.

And so, I have an inherant distrust of those who wear peace like a flower
on their lapel.

> I believe that even the most  evil people have at least a
> small amount of good inside of them, and I strive  to find that good in
> everyone.

mIghbe' nuvpu'. QaQbe' nuvpu'. rut mIgh qechmey. rut QaQ qechmey. rut
qechmeyvam toy' nuvpu' 'ej nuvpu'vam luQaHnISlu' pagh nuvpu'vam luSuvnISlu'
'ach reH choHtaH nuvpu'. not nuvpu' noHlaHchu' vay'.

People are neither good nor evil. Sometimes their ideas are good or evil
and sometimes people take action based upon these ideas, and so we must
help them or fight them, but the people themselves are capable of changing,
and incapable of not changing. It is best not to judge them as if they were
immutable.

> These are some of the reasons why I prefer to  express my
> belief in "Peace!"  Also, I was not challenging you.  I was  telling you
> to live with my "signature," or you will be challenged.

qatlh jISaH 'e' vIghel.

And I asked you why you thought I should care.

> If you  can't
> live with it, then you are a coward for not being able to accept other
> people's beliefs and desires.

not nuch jIH. chopumchugh bInepba'mo' qaSaHbe'. jatlhlaHba' batlhwIj.
bIram. qaSuvnISbe'.

> I do not know you all too well, SarrIS,
> but do  believe that you are good for assisting people to learn the
> Klingon language;  however, let me tell you this and allow this to serve
> as your only warning:   Do not cross my path.  I will challenge you, and
> it will be to the death.

choqaDchugh bIHeghrup. Do' wej choqaDbej.

> Valerie  :-)~
>
> Peace!

pItlh!

SarrIS