tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 08 08:47:26 2001

Re: -oy

De'vID wrote:
: How would I add {-oy} to a word that ends in a vowel. e.g. {ghu} "baby"?
: *{ghuoy}?
: {ghu'oy}? (But this sounds like "dear situation"! {{=) )

{ghu'oy} 'oH.  Marc Okrand on {-oy} in the TKD Addendum:

  "It is a very peculiar suffix because it is the only suffix that
   begins with a vowel rather than a consonant. (Though there are
   no examples, it is suspected that for those few nouns which end
   in a vowel, /'/ is inserted before this suffix.)" (TKD 174)

Indeed, most native speakers of English can not avoid inserting /'/ between two
distinct vowels in succession.  Apparently, neither can speakers of {tlhIngan
Hol}.

: (I'm just translating some phrases from Austin Powers for my girlfriend.)

WARNING: If you're using {ghu'oy} to refer to your {parmaqqay} and not your
infant child, then it is a private {bang pong} and thus quite different from
Austin Powers' casual epithet "baby".  Be *very* careful never to call her this
in public if you value your relationship.  Okrand again:

  "Pet names are almost never uttered unless the two members of the
   couple are alone and, therefore, are seldom known by anyone else.
   Indeed, one of the defining characteristics of a {bang pong} is
   that it be secret, known only by the two members of the couple.
   ... Because of the nature of the {parmaq} relationship, misusing a
   {bang pong} is a serious cultural offense. This could mean, among
   other things, revealing a {bang pong} to someone other than one's
   {parmaqqay}, revealing a third party's {bang pong} (regardless of
   how this information was acquired), addressing one's {parmaqqay}
   by the wrong pet name, or using a {bang pong} in a public setting."
   (KGT 199ff)

Considering how differently the two societies use pet names, I imagine this is
one of the major sources of misunderstanding between Terran-Klingon couples.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level